Consternation-Follow God's Leads

February 27-28
The word consternation came to mind last night as I was going to sleep and was still with me when I awakened. Not certain what it meant I headed to the dictionary.

Consternation-amazement or dismay that hinders or throws into confusion.

WOW, this week I was thrown into a state of consternation following a phone call. So what was I to do with this word feeling so certain God wanted me to follow its lead. After checking seven translations I finally found the word in The New American Standard in Ezekiel 3:15
Then I came to the exiles who lived beside the river Chebar at Tel-abib, and I sat there seven days where they were living, causing consternation among them.
This led to a two hour study of the book of Ezekiel.
(I had planned to clean my house...oh, well.)
Looking at the word again I saw...
The prefix con means "with". Constern translated in my mind to "concern".
Then there boldly at the end of this word stands "nation".

We are to be filled with concern for our nation!


Check out this commentary from the NIV Women of Faith Bible. It is well worth the read and spoke clearly to me to shift my prayer concerns today for our nation.

Ezekiel 3:3-15
"As part of Ezekiel's call, God tells him to eat a scroll. The scroll contains words of 'lament and mourning and woe'. Surprisingly, when Ezekiel eats the scroll, it tastes sweet, revealing to him and his listeners that even God's words of bitter judgement can be sweet because they are a last call to turn to him and be saved.
After eating the scroll, Ezekiel recognizes the troublesome task ahead of him. He must relay a discouraging message to the people in exile. These are his people, people he belongs to and loves. And he must tell them that God has decided to destroy Jerusalem, the city they adore. God's judgment is now inescapable. But worse than the message itself is the sure knowledge that the people will not listen. Ezekiel's heart is broken. He grieves for seven days; he is overwhelmed by what he's seen and heard. Only after those seven days of agitation and mourning does he respond to God's call to begin his ministry."

I wish you were here with me to feel my excitement as God is putting several things together for me. Be encouraged when God sends you on what may seem like a wild goose chases! He is speaking to you!
All week He has had me going back to a song we sang last Sunday in church.
Hosanna, by Hillsong. I will post the whole thing in the side column on the blog, but the phrase which hasn't left me all week is..
Break my heart with what breaks Yours.

Do you see how that ties in with Ezekiel's mourning for his people?
How it connects with where we have allowed ourselves to go as a nation?
Are we lamenting when it comes to those we love and care about who don't listen to what God wants them to hear?

Oh, Father, you have me aching for Ezekiel in his faithfulness to rely on Your strength and carry your message to a tough audience. Our day is no different.
Make us all obedient to listen, and because of who we know You to be make us courageous enough to step forward into action when You call upon us to be difference makers. In Jesus Name, Amen

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?