Love the Lord

April 16

Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' Matthew 22:37

Yesterday, I had a speaking engagement at an area country club. People who know me well, know I am a no make-up, no fingernail polish, preferably barefoot and in comfy clothes kind of gal. Praise the Lord, my husband claims he likes me that way. I think this style came from having six young children and sitting on the floor with them, as well as being too tired to wash make-up off my face at night!

1 Samuel 16:7 makes it easy to get away with this lifestyle.

The LORD does not look at the things man looks at.
Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."


Putting my best foot forward for this event I was attending I decided to get dolled up and allowed what I thought was sufficient time to get ready. Peering out my bathroom window as I stepped out of the shower I noticed the door to our boathouse was open. Dilemma! It is quite a jaunt down there, it was already hot and the dew was still on the ground. Those combined elements could cause fluffy hair to go limp, make-up to melt and polished toes to be covered in wet fresh cut grass. My preference was to just run down in my bath towel, but with the ESPN Bass Brawl going on that might create a Seinfeld type stir and disrupt the tournament as there already were fishermen in the cove, so I brushed my wet hair back and donned one of my son's long sleeved dress shirts and my Birkenstocks. Reaching the door a large crow flew off the roof and appearance panic thoughts set in....what if there is a bird in the boathouse closet and it poops on my head (I don't have time to shower again)...over the door was a wasps nest...what if a bee stings me and my face swells up...walking across the platform back to land I looked at the shoreline and thought...what if there is a snake and it scares me and I faint or it bites me and I am late for this commitment. Oh, the mind can really mess with you!
I arrived on time, but was very nervous. Standing in front of 70 women I prayed with a quivering voice.

"Lord, right now my knees are knocking, my stomach is churning and my hands are shaking. I want these women to like me, but that really isn't of eternal value. What is of eternal value is what they think of Your Son."

Sometimes we get carried away with concern of what others thing of us. Today I will concentrate on what God is thinking of doing with me and ask the Holy Spirit to equip me to be obedient to His plan.

Lord, we love you with all our hearts and souls and minds!
Thank You for pouring out Your love upon us! In Jesus' name.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?