Like Father, Like Son

September 14

God is so on the ball. My "to do list" is of such magnitude that for an instant I thought..."I do not have time to do the devotional today." My husband needed a lift to pick up a car and the three mile ride back home alone with Moses and the Lord afforded me some quiet time. While reflecting on the events of yesterday, which I will share momentarily, the Lord gave me the title "Like Father, Like Son." Having brain overload I thought, will I be able to come up with the correct scripture to coincide. (Oh, how quietly we forget...yesterday's message was on letting the Spirit help and He certainly can bring scripture verses to mind. Well, He enabled me even more, knowing I was wavering a bit today, and put the perfect verse right in my face on Biblegateway. What a lift to my spirits by the Holy Spirit! Ah, what a friend we have in the whole Trinity!

Ok, so that's the lengthy background...here is the tale.
One of our sons called my husband yesterday to explain he had been in a little fender bender in a parking lot with a couple in their 80's. Not that they are old. Right Daddy? (My 90 year old father reads these so I need to be careful!) But I wanted to paint a clearer picture with words. Bless all their hearts, they were in a health club parking lot and not going but 5 miles an hour. Our son had actually just helped this gentleman in the locker room. They exchanged insurance info, but did not call the police.
My husband absorbed this and went on with his day. Needing to gas up on this way home from work, he was in his car at the pump and noticed a huge dump truck backing up towards him. He quickly laid on the horn, but it was too late. Bam! He just experienced the same type accident the very same day. Ah, like Father,like son! My guess is these two people, who are so precious to me, reacted the very same way in these situations: with peace, calm, clean mouths, and a fashion which brings honor to Christ!
Unfortunately, in this world there are many mothers who would prefer their sons not act like their fathers. God knew this and provided another example, which is available to us all. His name is Jesus. When we are united with Him and in fellowship with the Spirit we are quicker to react like the Father and make his joy complete!

So here is the Biblegateway verse, but it gets even better.
If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.- Philippians 2:1-2

I just opened my calendar which reads:
Teach me to do Your will. For You are my God; Your Spirit is good.
Psalm 143:10a

"When we take responsibility for our lives, we're empowered to make changes." Henry Cloud & John Townsend

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?