Solitary Advice

December 4-5
Being a mother of seven there are so many things I would do differently if I could parent again. Because a worn out uterus was tossed years ago there isn't any chance I will be carrying another child, so the next best thing to a do over is the opportunity to share my knowledge with young mothers. The number one piece of advice I've passed on for years has been "Pray it, don't say it".
Meaning, pray more and nag less, because God can bring about changes in ways that don't alienate our children from us.
The second piece of advice I am now offering has come from the changes I have seen in my own life over the past five years (when I became an empty nester). Get alone with God each day. Two of my devotionals, which I am reading now during my quiet time, confirmed this message today. Check these out.
From Jesus Calling
My thoughts are not your thoughts; neither are your ways My ways. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways and thoughts higher than yours. Isaiah 55:8-9
"Remember who I am when you spend time with Me. Marvel at the wonder of being able to commune with the King of the universe...Though I am vastly higher and greater than you, I am training you to think My thoughts. As you spend time in My Presence, My thoughts gradually form in your mind."
From Streams in the Dessert
He went up to the mountainside by himself. Matthew 14:23
"There is a special strength that is born in solitude. Crows travel in flocks, and wolves in packs, but the lion and the eagle are usually found alone. Strength is not found in busyness and noise but in quietness. For a lake to reflect the heavens on its surface, it must be calm."

Jesus knew the importance of this and often went off to a solitary place to listen to his Father. Being alone was an aversion of mine for years and probably based out of fear. I've come to realize I am never alone and the one on one time with Jesus is precious. Just now I closed my eyes and quieted myself and some partial song lyrics came flowing into my mind although I can't remember the song.
"I want to touch You, I want to see Your face, I want to know you Lord."
Maybe they aren't exact, but they express a yearning for Jesus!
Today, let's each go away to a solitary place and seek Him.

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. Colossians 4:2
Love, Boo

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?