Uphill Battle

January 27
Opening my calendar I was hoping for some scriptures to pray over a friend who received a disappointing report from her cancer scan Tuesday and now her mother has been admitted to the hospital with a dangerous infection. Staring me in the face was
1 Corinthians 15:57.
Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
“A grateful heart is always ready for a miracle.” Deborah Norville
Ugh..."I don't think that is going to cheer her up Lord," I thought and read on to January 28th.
I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content. Philippians 4:11
“The greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our disposition, and not our circumstances.” Martha Washington
(Well, Miss Martha, I don’t think cancer was as rampant back in your day.) I wouldn't blame my girlfriend at all if she threw something when she read that verse. Grappling for a more comforting verse I flipped over a couple days and found Habakkuk 3:19

The Lord God is my strength...He will make me walk on my high hills.
(It must be this flu I am battling as I read high heels instead of high hills.)
“In the midst of tough times, don’t push away from God but run to Him in prayer.” John Hull

Corrie Ten Boom lived out the verses above so graciously as she thanked the Lord for the flea infested mattresses in the freezing cold prison, because it kept the guards from coming into her quarters and allowed her more time to lead Bible study. She learned to be content and kept her eyes on Jesus. Faith takes the focus off of us.
Do you remember the childhood feeling of riding your bike up a hill when you could pedal no longer and you had to get off and push it up the hill? Another friend, whose husband has had an affair on her, just called. Her divorce is final and she is pushing ahead with life and in a new city looking for a place to live. These friends, like so many others, are facing uphill battles concerning life's circumstances. We can thank God for those He sends to walk beside us, to be willing to push the bike for a little while, and to remind us of His love even when the path is dark.

PT Lord, I believe You are a God who moves mountains and that anything is possible for You. Take over Lord and relieve the burdens of those who are weary. Teach us to be aware of Your presence and to be thankful even in the darkest of storms. In Jesus’ name, Amen

PS. I am on day three of a terrible flu, so if this makes no sense tell the Lord!

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?