Simply Because You Love Me

March 16
The clock read 5AM. Wait, that is really only 4AM, because of Daylight Savings Time. Trying to close my eyes and go back to sleep the Lord had another idea which required me to get up out of my cozy bed. I balked at first using the excuse that He certainly didn't want to break my morning routine of a quiet time with him. The response..."Oh, believe me, you will be more awake and receptive to our quiet time after you do this." The humanness of my soul switched into a bargaining gear. "So, if I do this You are going to bless me and maybe answer some of those prayer requests we have been discussing?" "No, I am simply asking You to do this because You love me," was His reply. Ugh...those are the kind of moments you know you've heard from God.

My feet hit the ground and as I headed out of my bedroom I thought...How often do I do something for the Lord simply because I love him? Motherhood and married life are full of actions done purely out of love, but as for our life with the Father, I think often the mindset settles more on thoughts of all the things He does for us because of how He loves us. Maybe we think because He is God he doesn't need our love, but His Word teaches differently.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.
Deuteronomy 6:5
Deuteronomy 11:22 (Msg) ...love God, your God, do what he tells you, stick close to him.

Reading today in Billy Graham's Unto These Hills the scripture reference is Psalm 139:23-24.
Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

In his devotional Graham states: "Unless God is revealed to us through personal experience, we can never really know God. Most of us know about God, but that is quiet different from really knowing God. He goes on to talk about the proper sequence contained in David's prayer in Psalm 139. "First he prayed that God might know him; then he prayed that God might cleanse him; and last he prayed that God might direct him. David's transformation, as a result of this prayer, was full and complete." David loved God.

A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22
While I was obedient to what God asked me to do this morning I didn't start out with a cheerful heart. Then my attitude changed and I found my joy in doing this for Him. Shortly afterwards the recipient of God's requested action didn't seem elated with the offering and I allowed my joy to be quenched. (I guess not everyone is ready to be disturbed at 6M) Already, I had forgotten for whom this was being done...it wasn't for the recipient, it was to be done...
Simply, because I love God and He asked me too.
PT
Lord, you shine brighter than any other. Last week I did a lot of silver polishing and it required some elbow grease. This morning I feel as if you have been buffing and polishing me Father. Thanks for finding me worth the effort. May we all go forth today, full of love and appreciation for You and may that love radiate out into lives which we never dreamed of touching.
In Jesus Name, Amen

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?