Covered

June 15
Just finished listening to David Jeremiah's message today on End Times and thought it was excellent. www.davidjeremiah.org/site/radio.aspx

Stepping out the door to walk this morning I was surprised by the delightful chill in the air and thought, I need something to "cover" me and ran back in for a jacket. The word cover stayed with me the whole walk, so I returned to find it used 241 times in the NIV. Heading to the online dictionary, I laughed out loud! When I typed in "covered" one of the top choices which popped up was...."covered dish". I really wanted to do some cooking this morning, but felt my quiet time should come first, but even the dictionary tempted me to go play in the kitchen!
Some of the verb definitions correlate extremely well with the scriptures to which I was drawn:
to guard from attack; to afford protection or security to; to hide from sight or knowledge; to conceal something illicit, blameworthy or embarrassing from notice; to spread over something.

The scriptures below fall into what I see as two categories. The first four relate to times of conviction when sinful behavior needed to be covered up. The last four remind us of the sacrificial blood of Christ, which selflessly covers our sins; the provision of the protective covering of God on our daily lives; and the powerful depth of unconditional love we have available in our own lives to offer to others.


Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

Genesis 7:20
The waters rose and
covered the mountains to a depth of more than fifteen cubits.

Genesis 20:16
To Sarah he said, “I am giving your brother a thousand shekels of silver. This is to
cover the offense against you before all who are with you; you are completely vindicated.”

Genesis 38:14
She (Tamar) took off her widow’s clothes,
covered herself with a veil to disguise herself.

Proverbs 10:12
Hatred stirs up conflict, but love
covers over all wrongs.

Psalm 91:4
He will
cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

Psalm 85:2
You forgave the iniquity of your people and
covered all their sins.

Romans 4:7
“Blessed are those whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are
covered.

Feeling covered up today? Praise the Lord! That can be a God thing!

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?