My Help




August 16
Sunday night I went to see the movie, "The Help". Powerfully true story! Gladys, the woman in the photo above raised me. She lived with my parents family for 33 years. I love her immensely and have asked her several times to come live with me and let me give back to her what she gave to me. My parents treated and provided for her so well. Obviously, she was fairly content to stay that many years. Whether with my parents at their VA, Lake or Florida homes, she did always have her own bathroom though. (Go see the movie to understand.) I left this movie in rather a melancholy mood, wishing I had done more to "help" the "help" in those days. As a child I didn't understand why "colored" people had to sit on the back of the bus, weren't seen in our churches, or only worked at the country club. Moving into my teens and the beginning days of integration I was thankful for parents who were not racist and allowed me to have black friends to our home. (It was preferred that we play inside though.)
One line in the movie was haunting...a maid talks about how the white children she raised and who loved her deeply, grew up to be just like their parents. Tears drip down my cheeks, as I remember forbidding our daughter to invite a black boy to a dance. My excuse was it would upset the grandparents, but maybe it really did bother me.

Father, I thank you for this film. Thank You for Gladys who gave up her life and raising her own son to be there for me. Thank You for the prayers she prayed over me and all she taught me about You. Thank You for my parents who loved Gladys and provided so well for her. They set the example for me of how we should respect others, no matter what side of the tracks they live on. Forgive us when we look at any people as less than ourselves. You created all men equal and you love your creations all the same. Heal the hurt in this world and HELP us all to love others well. In Jesus Name, Amen
Your love, LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. Your righteousness is like the highest mountains, your justice like the great deep. You, LORD, preserve both people and animals. Psalm 36:5-6

May all those under oppression remember.
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:2

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?