Start Fresh Manicure

If you really want a lift, go to www.mentormemoments.blogspot.com and read Ruth Myers' entry in 31 Days of Praise for today. It was written for Fresh Starts!

January 25th

Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies. Philippians 4:8

Years ago, we had a new minister come to our church and I went to their home on moving day to help them. It was a good thing, because no one else showed up! Introducing myself to his wife, she took my hands in hers and said, "Oh, I am going to like you! You are my kind of woman. I can tell by your hands! You are a worker!"
Rarely do I polish my fingernails, because the activities I pursue tend to tear up a polished look rather quickly! If I had fake ones they would probably end up cake batter, at the bottom of the lake or pull off in a knitting project or a dirty diaper! LOL.
The other day I was painting my toe nails, which aren't aging well and tend to get a coat of lacquer right often, especially in open toed shoe season! The old polish had to be rubbed off, the nails trimmed and the cuticle pushed back. Looking at those old toes, with their shinny new coat of polish, I thought about all that fresh starts require.
They require:
...recognizing what we are presently doing with our lives isn't working and most likely isn't appealing to the Lord.
...cutting out or off something or someone. That process can be painful.
...pushing back old habits or ways of thinking and replacing them new ones.
When the process is complete and we stop and look at the creation it is pleasant and pleasing and was worth the effort!
The greatest thing about "starting fresh" with Jesus is that the Holy Spirit helps...we don't have to do all the work...we just need to be willing to let Him scrub us and begin the manicure! It is a team effort! Amen!

Pray:
We look to you, heaven-dwelling God, look up to you for help. Like servants, alert to their master's commands, like a maiden attending her lady, we're watching and waiting, holding our breath, awaiting your word of mercy. (From Psalm 123) Forgive us for our stubbornness and for being satisfied to allow decay to continue in our lives. You created us for a freshness, a vibrancy, a very alive relationship with You. Today we choose to say, "Out with the old and in with more Jesus!" In whose precious name we pray, Amen.


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?