Expectations


February 3Bold
The Winter that Weally Wasn't!
If a nifty sled, a fabulous fur, comfy cashmere or snow gear were among your Christmas gifts and you live in Virginia you probably have not gotten much use out them this winter. We expect snow here in the Blue Ridge mountains, but this year temps in the 50's and 60's have been the norm.
What are some areas in which we set up high expectations related to love?
Do we marry expecting the kind of love we have seen on TV or between our parents (or maybe desire something totally different)? Are parents viewed as unconditional lovers of their children and expected to provide (maybe more than intangible love) as long as they live on this earth?

Andy Stanley has an excellent video series called "I Marriage" where he reveals the one sided viewpoint which many individuals carry into a union. I want a nice house. I want you to have a job that has you home for dinner every night. I want....on and on.
How many times have we said or had thrown at us...If you love me you will...(do the laundry, watch the kids, give up golf, have a nice dinner waiting, make straight A's, play on this sports team, etc.)
In our ultimate love relationship with God there are expectations.
"And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God ask of you but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in obedience to him, to love him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to observe the LORD’s commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good?" Deuteronomy 10:12-13

“You shall have no other gods before me." Exodus 20:3

However, there are enormous blessings in this love exchange!

“What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived”— the things God has prepared for those who love him—" 1 Corinthians 2:9

Jesus himself had a couple "If you love me" quotes.
"If you love me, keep my commands." John 14:15
"You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I." John 14:28

Who are we expecting to love us until the end of the earth and on into eternity?
There is only one who can fulfill that expectation.
Does our love for Him overflow as well?

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?