Chasing Woodpeckers


April 10
The numbers 7:22 glowed on my alarm clock, as the peck, peck, peck sounded on the side of our porch. Running to the window and cranking it open, I totally ignored our sleeping bulldog a foot away. He could have gone into cardiac arrest at his age as I called out "What are you doing!" to the woodpecker. The bird flew away and perched himself on the other side of the porch and continued his pecking. The bulldog, with eyes glazed and full of morning gook stared at me in disbelief. Off I ran to another window and thus began another morning...chasing woodpeckers!

Stopping in my tracks I knew there was a lesson in this madness. My notebook contained a two references yesterday from where I had been studying in Corinthians.

You realize, don't you, that you are the temple of God, and God himself is present in you? No one will get by with vandalizing God's temple, you can be sure of that. 1 Corinthians 3:16

Do I have as much concern about the things vandalizing my life as I do concern for the welfare of our house?

In reference to the sin going on around us 1 Corinthians 5:2, 6 says:
And you're so above it all that it doesn't even faze you! Shouldn't this break your hearts? Shouldn't it bring you to your knees in tears?...Your flip and callous arrogance in these things bothers me. You pass it off as a small thing, but it's anything but that. Yeast, too is a "small thing," but it works its way through a whole bunch of bread dough pretty fast.

My morning prayers turned to cries for purity, holiness and to change my thoughts to be like Jesus'. When sin and temptation taunt me Lord help me to be quick to reply "What are you doing!" you do not belong in God's temple. Be gone!


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?