Majesty

August 24
Yesterday afternoon, my husband and I drove about three hours up the Shenandoah Valley to a beautiful farm, surrounded by mountains, to say farewell to our friend who is spending his last days on his son's farm. It was such a privilege to be able to hold his hand and talk with him about the reality of heaven, the excitement of seeing Jesus, but also his life well lived.  We shared a delicious meal with his whole family, on a beautiful brick patio, in one of the most peaceful settings I've ever experienced.
As we prayed over him before we left, my husband quoted Proverbs 17:6     
Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children.
This verse was a vivid picture in this household.
We were both holding back tears as we walked away knowing we would not see our friend this side of heaven again.  Our hearts ached for his wife, two sons, two daughter in laws and eight grandchildren who adore him.  As we stepped out the front door, the sunset in the photo above is what was waiting for us.  Majesty is the word that came to mind.
Praise the Lord, my soul, Lord my God, you are very great; 
you are clothed with splendor and majesty.
  I thanked my husband for taking off work early to accompany me on this journey and told him... God turned this trip into one of the most memorable "date nights" of our lives.  He placed us in a gorgeous setting, with delicious food, surrounded by loving people and knit us together to strengthen us to share God's love with another individual at to me is probably the most intimate time in their lives.  God always surprises me with how blessings come out of the most unexpected situations. 

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?