Philippians Focus #3




October 5
If you've gotten anything at all out of following Christ, if his love has made any difference in your life, if being in a community of the Spirit means anything to you, if you have a heart, if you care-then do me a favor: Agree with each other, love each other, be deep-spirited friends.  Don't push your way to the front; don't sweet talk your way to the top.  Put yourself aside, and help others get ahead.  Don't be obsessed with getting your own advantage.  Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand.
Philippians 2:1-4 (The Message)



Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation. Philippians 2:14-15 (NIV)

Did you know grumbling is a sin?  In 1 Corinthians 10:6-10 Paul lists four of the sins Israel committed as they wandered in the dessert.  Idolatry, sexual immorality, testing God and grumbling!  Forgive me Lord, I've had some grumbly years.  It is an easy habit to fall into, especially if you hang out with other grumblers.  About five years ago, I realized the destructive habit and asked the Lord to forgive me and help the words of my mouth to be encouraging.  I am a work in progress.

We've always had an open door policy at our home, taking in strays (the human kind), allowing our kids and some who weren't our children to bring friends here, and seeing Shiloh as a place of refuge.
One time we were asked by a gentleman, who had heard about us, if he could bring his family and some friends for 5 days. He thought there'd be around 13 people.  We agreed.  It ended up being 37 people.  The second night they were here they were cooking dinner in our kitchen.  I walked through the kitchen to see a woman pick up my bottle of olive oil and pour it in a pan on the stove. Continuing to walk, I went into our butler's pantry and told the Lord, "They are using my OLIVE OIL!"  He said, "It's not your olive oil, it's mine and I want them to have it.  Now go offer hospitality without grumbling!"

May we live lives where we see grumbling as gross. 

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?