Miss Attitude


November 19
Shopping is not one of my favorite past times, but giving is a joy and coupons are tempting this time of year. Venturing off to the city last week with my list in hand,  ToysRus was the place to get out of the way first. Whew, now I remember why my mother and I did the children's Christmas shopping in October.  In need of comfort, Chick Fil A was where I headed.  The drive thru was packed, but I've been battling a virus and wasn't up for heading inside.  Placing my order for a Spicy Chicken sandwich and a sweet tea I pulled around and paid at the window, then I was informed my sandwich would take 2 minutes and I was asked to pull around the corner and wait.
Six minutes later I was rather frustrated. Locking the car, I grabbed my purse and headed inside in search of the manager. While not outwardly rude, inwardly I felt I had not gotten what I deserved!!!!!
Ooo, missy...got herself an attitude!  Asking for the manager, I explained what had happened and stated I would like my money back.  He happily complied and pulled out the cash.  Are you kidding me, I thought, that's all...just a smile and here's your money." I started to walk off, but leaned back towards the counter and said, "Out of curiosity, what happened to my sandwich?"  The reply, "Hmm, I have no idea, there are plenty of them right there, here why don't I give you one."  Taking the sandwich I walked out.

Driving to my next stop in my car with a license plate which says "Iam4joy," I pulled into the Target parking lot and parked to eat my sandwich.  Thanking God for my food, he chatted with me.  "Do you really think you DESERVE special treatment and service wherever you go?"  Yuck...I do hate these conversations.  Before we could continue, I notice a small toddler crawling around alone in a mini van parked next to me.  Here came the attitude again...
What mother would leave her child in a car and out of his carseat?  By now he had crawled into the driver's seat and I had decided to remain in my car to be sure he was alright.  The minutes ticked away as my mind raced with ideas of just what I would say to this mother.  Finally, she approached the vehicle.  With list in hand my gumption wavered and I decided it best to get on with my day. Maybe 10 steps out of my car I stopped and thought about the $5.19 I'd just gotten back from Chick Fil A. Memories of motherhood came rushing back...the time I left a pre-schooler in the car to run in the paint store and came back and the car was a block down the road...still locked, but the pre-schooler out of the carseat.  I walked around the mini van...this mom had not closed her door, because she was putting out her cigarette. She had a good 80 pounds on me and more tattoos and piercings than a paisley pin cushion.  Standing there in my cute Talbots' turquoise puffy vest, I asked politely if I could speak to her a moment. Beginning my story with "Being the mother of seven..." I was interrupted when I reach the part about my parentless car observations..."I love my child, I'd never do anything to hurt him..."  "Wait, let me finish," I requested.  The conversation progressed with me expressing how difficult motherhood is and how all I wanted to do was encourage her in the task she had undertaken and I wanted to give her some money to do something special for herself and her child.
"Well, God bless you!" she said as she got up out of her seat and give me a big hug.
Walking away, I felt much better than had I berated her for her stupidity and the endangerment of her child.  My cute vest still smells of cigarette smoke and cheap perfume, but that's ok...God figures I need a reminder to adjust my attitude and love others as Christ does!

Driving around with that license plate stating, "Iam4joy" ...I best act like it.

PS...I should have told her to go to Chick Fil A for lunch!

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?