Triggers


December 6
For it is by grace you have been saved through faith-
and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.
Ephesians 2:8


Christmas time is full of memory triggers.

Decorating the tree,  I chuckled as I recalled doing this for so many years with my father.  I was much younger than my siblings and they had moved away and started families of their own.  My mother wasn't well during my high school and college days, so Daddy and I had the tree duty.  My father is a perfectionist and that rolled over into his ice cycle technique.  :)  I would have been happy to step back and hurl a handful on and see where it landed, but he likes the one by one, laid perfectly over the branch look. He did make that tree look beautiful.

Wrapping gifts for this gang brought back the memory of wrapping gifts with my grandmother as a small child.  My job was to place my finger on the ribbon while she tied a bow!  So simple, but it made me feel very needed.

Smells are incredible memory triggers.  Right now I am wearing the same sweater I wore on Thanksgiving and I was sitting on the couch next to my father.  It smells just like him.  My husband laughs as I get in bed at night and take a deep inhale of his scent. I don't ever want to forget that. Maybe  in heaven when he flies by I will remember him by that scent.  (There is nothing to lead me to believe we will know each other as man and wife in heaven, but maybe this will help me recall there is something really special about him.)

Visiting my mother in law, who has been quite sick with the flu, my husband sat on the bed next to her. She placed her hand in his and said, "Your fingers feel just like my Daddy's."  Just that touch brought her so much peace and the memories of her father flooded back.

What triggers  us to remember Christ?
When you see a cross do you think of the sacrifice?
Does a cemetery make you think of his resurrected life...up from the grave?
Do you have scripture scattered about that drawls you to His love?
Often a bar of soap reminds me that He washes my sins as white as snow.
We have a prayer bench at the end of our bed as a daily reminder to kneel before Him.

O come let us adore Him!

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?