Recognizing Differences & Shining Like Stars


January 21
There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. But the manifestation of  the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.  But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.   1 Corinthians 12:4-11

Jesus came to save the Jew and the Gentile alike.  We are all God's children, yet we are each individuals with unique personalities, physical traits and God given gifts.  Our common bond is a heart that yearns for its Creator. While it is the Holy Spirit who is wooing us, the allure we respond to takes on different forms. The scripture reading for the day may be exactly the same, but the setting on a Sunday morning quite different.  High church with a regal orchestra and traditional hymns may pull one person into the presence of the Lord, while another's heart sores with arms raised high as a praise band's drums, guitars and keyboard reverberate through the air with flashing lights and no candle glow.  On another whole level the worship may be out on a dusty African plain with wild animals stampeding in the distance or individuals hidden in a basement ushering up hushed tones of praise and thanksgiving that once more they have been able to hide away and worship together.

While I thank God for the diversity of worship styles, conviction set in on Saturday as to my tolerance of and grumbling about differences in other areas.  I am presently in a situation with the Lord where he seems to be going over me with a fine toothed comb...picking out the gnats.  We were listening to an ACC basketball game and there was a female commentator.  She drove me nuts. First my thought was, isn't there a girls' game she could be working?  The  more I listened the more irritated I became. It was as if she wanted to be "one of the guys".  At one point I said to my husband.  "I bet her father is a sports nut whom she is trying to please and he is so proud of her."  "Get a grip Boo," I thought.  Who was commentating that game was not of eternal value.  My grumbling was gross.
My husband took the high road and pointed out the TV station was most likely trying to attract female viewers.  He found it rather amusing that it ruffled my feathers.  (I'm not much of a feminist and probably never will be.)  The joy of the game was lost on my juggling about judgements.  I needed an attitude adjustment and to memorize Philippians 2:13-15

...for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.  Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, 'children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.' Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky.

Day #15 of Praise  Kim Walker Smith singing "Spirit Break Out"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YfFiTxDwVg

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?