Following Bread Crumbs

March 2-3
Hansel and Gretel were thinking ahead when they created the bread crumb path, they just weren't thinking the plan thoroughly through.  Watching NCIS the other night, the lead investigator, Jethro Gibbs, was searching for his medical examiner who had been abducted.  When he came upon the cabin where "Ducky" had been held hostage, Gibbs said, "Come on Ducky, talk to me."  Meaning... have you left me some clues...some bread crumbs to follow?
Last week, the older sister of a childhood friend of our daughter's was shot and burned in a car in Baltimore.  Her mother is a retired judge. I cannot shake the image of this tragedy or the thoughts of how much the hearts of this family must be shattered.  It made me think that as a family we should have some secret code words in case any of us would be taken and our abductors would give us a chance to talk, proving we are alive. (I know...watching too many criminal shows, but remember this is a gal whose grandfather was murdered and continues to encounter some pretty bizarre real life experiences.)

So where am I going with the Lord about all this.  Two places.  One, God leaves me bread crumbs to follow to get me to the place where He can "TALK" to me in his Word.  The other day, this blog format would open, but it would not let me enter to write.  Deciding to wait a minute and try again, I clicked on Biblegateway, which was in The Message translation mode and here was the verse for the day.

You're all I want in heaven!  You're all I want on earth!  When my skin sags and my bones get brittle, God is rock-firm and faithful.  Look!  Those who left you are falling apart!  deserters, they'll never be heard from again.  But I'm in the very presence of God-oh, how refreshing it is!  I've made Lord God my home.  God, I'm telling the world what yo do!  Psalm 73:25-26

The night before, I was talking to a friend who was bedraggled and discouraged.  This person shared they felt like there were no victories in life anymore.  (Just breathe in the world reports and you can feel that way.) My heart was so heavy for this person.  I didn't feel it was the appropriate time to share about the greatest victory we can possibly imagine.  Christ's victory over death, which we can celebrate every day. I didn't know what to say.  Then opening this verse in Psalm 73, God gave me the perfect bread crumb to offer encouragement to this person.  (A fellow friend with skin sags and brittle bones.)

The world tries to trample us down.  The Bible is full of "code words/phrases" which lead clues instructing us how to find peace and joy in the battle.

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10

Be joyful always!  1 Thessalonians 5:16

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.  Psalm 73:25-26

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?