But You Have Not Listened to Me

Whoops…the combo of grandbaby love and Bible Study girlfriends caught me off guard and the devotional didn't get posted.  Life happens!

January 20-21
Studying Gideon, I keep learning and learning and learning.
I said to you, "I am the Lord your God; do not worship the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you live." But you have not listened to me.  Judges 6:10

The words "you have not listened to me" rang in my mind over and over.  "Show me Lord, where I haven't listened," I inquired.  It was the 15th of January, so I opened Proverbs 15 and was convicted by the ways I had failed to listen to the wisdom God has imparted.  Times when I wanted to shout…"Life isn't fair."  Times when I went forward on self-sufficiency, not godly counsel.

Lord, help me remember You are sovereign and You tell us:

Proverbs 15
: 1 A gentle answer turns away wrath
: 2 The tongue of the wise commends knowledge
: 3 The eyes of the Lord are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked and the good.
: 4 The discerning heart seeks knowledge
:17 Better a meal of vegetables where there is love, than a fattened calf with hatred
:22 Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.
:26 The Lord detests the thoughts of the wicked, but those of the pure are pleasing to him.
:27  A greedy man brings trouble to his family
:29 The Lord is far from the wicked but he hears the prayers of the righteous
:30 A cheerful look brings joy to the heart and good news gives health to bones.

Flipping to Psalm 15 I checked out what was on David's mind.
Psalm 15 (NIV)
Lord, who may dwell in Your sanctuary?  Who may live on your holy hill?  He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from his heart and has not slander on his tongue, who does his neighbor no wrong and casts no slur on his fellowman, who despises a vile man, but honors those who fear the Lord, who keeps his oath even when it hurts, who lends his money with usury and does not accept a bribe against the innocent. he who does these things will never be shaken.
Psalm 15  The Message
God, who gets invited to dinner at your place?  How do we get on your guest list?  "Walk straight, act right, tell the truth. Don't hurt your friend, don't blame your neighbor; despise the despicable.  "Keep your word even when it costs you, make an honest living, never take a bribe.  You'll never get blacklisted if you live like this."  

 I want to listen to the Lord and live like that.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?