Loving Learning-Softie


April 28
This past weekend was one of our favorite's of the year, when a youth group from Harrisonburg, VA comes to the Lake.  They are a polite, appreciate, refreshing group of young people, who have a genuine hunger to know more about Jesus.  Last night we sat under the stars by the fire pit and didn't want the evening to end.
Today, as I dug into a new study called Divine Design, I found myself just as excited as these youngsters to be learning more about the Word and the Lord.

Author Nancy Leigh DeMoss was sharing that the Hebrew word for woman is ishshah, which comes from the root word soft.  This was new to me.  She writes: "Softness is at the core of what it means to be a woman.  If you look up the dictionary definition of "soft," you'll find that it means not hard; yielding readily to touch, flexible, pliable, delicate, graceful; not loud; quietly pleasant; calm, gentle, kind, tender, compassionate, and sympathetic."  (I maybe qualify in 8 of the 14 areas, if we count stomach and arm flab for the "not hard" category!  I have work to be done.  Lord, fill me with the Holy Spirit and make me pliable!)

The past week I've been thrown into controversial conversations on creation, gender and marriage.  Recapping some of those conversations with my husband this morning, I said, "Why don't people want to believe what the Bible says about God?  He is amazing. Look at all He has created and the sacrificial love He displayed coming to earth to die for our sins.  What is not to love?"

The verse below is the reference DeMoss was using in relationship to her soft statements.  Being the weaker partner doesn't offend me in the least.  My old aching back could not have begun to carry all the things my husband did for me this weekend.  :-)

Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.  1 Peter 3:7

I totally buy into these beliefs about God.
He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just.  A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.   Deuteronomy 32:4

As for God, his way is perfect: The Lord's word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him.
Psalm 18:30

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will.  
Romans 12:2

If we love learning about His Word, we will learn how easy it is to love Him.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?