Handel's Messiah

May 31-June 1

I'm in a group which gathers once a week to study the disciplines of Christ.  Each week we select a specific assignment related to a particular discipline.  One week my assignment was to listen to Handel's Messiah.  We were to practice the incarnational tradition.  Go Holy Spirit go!  Grabbing my CD's I took them with me to my ironing board.  It wasn't long before I was looking for a piece of paper to jot down God's messages for me in-between the sweeps of the iron across cloth.
Three scriptures sung to this dynamic music captured my thoughts and flowed together in a most practical manner.
For we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned every one to his own way and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.  Isaiah 53:6  Yup, we've all messed up, by being "I want" driven instead of "God" driven.
We shall be changed related to 1 Corinthians 15:51, 52…Behold, I show you a mystery; we shall not all sleep, but we shall be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye at the last trump; for the trumpet shall sound and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
God took me to a really neat place with this. I know at Christ's return we will be changed, but the Holy Spirit is capable of making significant changes in us right here on earth.  Most of the 11 women who were present had prayer requests that related to a need for change in themselves or someone they loved, so I took each of their requests and prayed for that specific change to occur.
How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things.  Romans 10:15.  I jumped in the car and ran up the road for a pedicure!  (Just kidding.)  God changes us for His purpose…to be in a spiritual position to take the gospel to the uttermost ends of the earth…or maybe just to the end of the driveway to the garbage man.

A friend issued a challenge the other day.  "What would our lives look like if we lived knowing someone was always watching?"

Let's Pray:  God, you are our god and we will always praise You.  We shake our heads in disbelief that you come after us, as sheep who have gone astray, time and time again.  Change us from the inside out Lord and set our feet on a course each day that brings glory right before Your throne, with shouts of hallelujah!  May our lives reflect the life of Christ has Handel's Messiah does. In Jesus Name, Amen

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?