Where People Go

May 9
Last night my husband got home later than usual, because they had an open house at the school where he works.  Walking through the doors he commented, "I doubt many of your peers are sitting in front of a television watching the NFL draft, as you are." So what was my intrigue?

For one, I enjoy college football. (Not the NFL.) My husband played at the University of North Carolina in the 70's and UNC has had a very talented TE (tight end), Eric Ebron, who hoped to be drafted.  Eric made sure it was a special day, draft or no draft.  While in New York City, he proposed to his girlfriend atop the Empire State building just hours before the draft!  :-)  What a guy.


Here's another part of the process that interests me. There where you go aspect. These talented young athletes receive multiple college scholarship offers and contemplated with their parents or high school coaches, which school might be the best fit for them.  While scholarship athletes are being bought in a sense, and they have a commitment to carry out for college if they want to have their education paid for, they have a choice in where they are going.  In the NFL draft, you are sitting waiting to be owned by one team.
In the case of Greensboro, NC born, Eric Ebron, Detroit will now be his home.  He was the 10th pick overall in the draft.  A huge accomplishment.  My maternal brain starts wondering things like: how far from home these young men will be, if they are leaving Christian fellowship they've been plugged into, will they fall into financial despair or disrepair with all the money that is being thrown at them?

As I awakened this morning, thinking about this process which continues into Saturday, the idea of where people go related to eternity came to mind.  We are all headed somewhere and our eternal resting place is our choosing. The Head Coach has recruited us since he created us.  Will we accept the call?

Check out these verses related to where Jesus told the disciples he was going.

Jesus answered, "Even it I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. But yo have no idea where I come from or where I am going." John 8:14

That's how I felt watching the suspense of the draft last night!  :-)  Listen to how Thomas replied to Jesus' announcement.
Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"
John 14:5

Praise God we live in a time and have the written Word, so that we can know how to follow Jesus and get to where we want to be for all eternity.

Here's a real comforting comment which God had told Jacob in a dream, after Abraham had sent his son off on a great adventure, to establish his home elsewhere.
I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go.   Genesis 28:15

Lord, the paths we take may never surprise you.  They may disappoint you, but they never surprise you.  You are fully aware of what waits for us at every turn.  I pray for these football players in America who are stepping up to the next level. For those who know and love You, keep them steadfast, committed and useful tools for your kingdom.  For those who don't, surround them with believers and soften their hearts for a message that will change them in greater ways than the money they are about to receive!  In Jesus' Name. Amen

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?

Marriage Matters #1