An Inner Warmth

Missing Moses' warmth!
June 30
Traveling this past weekend we were first a bit concerned when we were singled out in the security line and given an orange card and instructed to read it.  The security guard then smiled at us and explained we'd been selected to be privileged and not have to take off our shoes or belts.  :-)  Walking on, I giggled to my husband…"It's because we are old."
A friend gave me a book last week of the writings from great Christian theologians from long, long ago.  While their thoughts are from old they are full of spiritual wisdom. I want to share from Richard Rolle's book The Fire of Love.  Rolle was one of the great spiritual leaders of England in the 1300's.
It has me thinking I may give kindling wood and this excerpt as a Christmas gift to friends this year.(Wait, most of them have gas fireplaces. Oh, well.)

Nowadays I find that even sleep ranges itself against me!  The only spare time I have is that which I am obliged to give to slumber. When I am awake, I can try to warm my soul up though it is numb with cold.  For I know how to kindle it when the soul is settled in devotion and how to raise it above earthly things with overwhelming desire.
But this eternal and overflowing love does not come when I am relaxing, nor do I feel this spiritual ardor when I am tired out after, say, traveling; nor is it there when I am absorbed with worldly interests or engrossed in never endings arguments.  At times like these I catch myself growing cold: cold until once again I put away all things external and make a real effort to stand in my Savior's presence; only then do I abide in the inner warmth.

As I get older, I long for the consistency of the inner warmth of Christ.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?