Peel Away

July 23
Flip flops or bare feet are my favorite summer foot attire!  Actually, they are my favorite year round attire. My heels looked awful though.  The soil in our area is a red clay.  Add to that the rock and sand on our beach and I have more than scuffed up my feet.  I recalled that a couple years ago I purchased a $3.99 foot peel product from TJMaxx, which I had never used.  Grabbing the tube, I began the exfoliating process.  About 20 minutes into it I was wishing I was at a luxurious spa with someone else transforming my feet.  Even after the scrubbing and rinsing, there was still rough skin, so I took a small pair of finger nail scissors to trim away the dead skin.  The process ended with me applying London Butter (a gift from a dear friend) and putting on a pair of socks in hopes of this saturating my feet.
They look and fell so much better.

Reflecting on the 30 minute process, I decided I needed to spend at least that amount time investing in a spiritual peel.  The roughness of life can cause our hearts to harden and become rather ugly.  Just as I had read the detailed instructions on the foot peel, I thought about some instructions God has given us.

#1  Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness.  (Matthew 6:33)
      Father, just as we have to make time to clean up from our worldly influences…bodies, homes,
      places of work….help us to heed your instructions to make time before anything else to seek you
      and your righteousness.

#2  Be filled with the Spirit by putting on love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness,
       faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  (Galatians 5:22-23)
       Holy Spirit, please rub these into our lives.

#3 Confess and renounce our sins, instead of trying to conceal them.  (Psalm 28:13)
     Lord, just as that peel pulled away dead skin, hear our confessions and forgive and remove the sin
     from our lives.

#4 Forgive others who have sinned against us and our heavenly Father will also forgive us.
     (Matthew 6:14)
     Whew, there are some rough spots that won't just peel away Lord.  They have to be cut off.
     Forgiveness towards those who have wronged us can be a rough process.  You provide a way!

#5  Remain in your love.  (John 15:9)
     God, after we've been with you at the spiritual spa, may we step back into life without being timid,
     or anxious, but with a confidence that we take each step of our faith walk by remaining in your
     magnificent, amazing love.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?