Eva


Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
Exodus 20:8 
November 13
"GOT YA!" That is what it felt like this lady said, as she apprehended me in the Christmas section of Marshall's department store last Sunday.  "You should not be shopping on the Sabbath, " eighty-six year old Eva exclaimed to me, a total stranger, using a boisterous voice.  Heads turned all around me and my girlfriend who was with me. was no where to be found. I stared at this woman with questioning eyes. Before I spoke, she continued, "I'm only here because I do not drive and this is the only day I could get a ride."
My turn.  "Well, I'm here because I just received a phone call from my son, whose wife has been very ill.  He asked if I would come to visit and do some decorating for Christmas. Neither he, nor I,  live near a Marshall's and I was passing this one on my way.  Our daughter-in-law loves snowflakes, aren't these lovely?  Would you pray for our daughter-in-law?"
Instead, Eva began to unload all her woes upon me.  I asked if I could pray for her.  She lay her sweet grey head upon my chest. I placed my arms around her and one hand on her lower back, which has been giving her so much trouble.  As I prayed, Eva sobbed.  After the "Amen" she looked at me and said, "I almost sat in the car and didn't come in because it was Sunday.  Look what I would have missed."


For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people.
Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God's slaves.
1 Peter 2:15-16

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?