Obedience and Expectation

December 6-7
This has been my favorite Advent season of my whole life, because I'm actually escaping to be with Jesus each day and pondering these things in my heart!  It has also been the most dart filled Advent ever.  Yesterday, alone here at Shiloh, the devil was really agitating me and I finally screamed out in the name of Jesus for him to "Be gone!"  Satan must hate this month, where so many of us have our eyes upon the birthday celebration of our King.

The song I posted yesterday, called Mary Did You Know, is one of my very favorite Christmas songs.
A dear friend, who lives in our neighborhood, is a talented pianist and organist and is currently preparing to play The Magnificat (found in Luke 1:46-55), at her church.  It is also known as the Song of Mary and was sung out by Mary upon Jesus leaping in her womb, when she saw her pregnant cousin Elizabeth.  I've typed up her song below.

While vacuuming yesterday, I had Mary's life on my mind.  Talk about your life taking a turn in an instance. Whew, her's certainly did.  Yet, she was so obedient.  We may not have an actual angel staring us in the face delivering news from God (or we might, that's still possible), but we certainly can hear instructions from the Lord.

Do we live with the expectancy of Simeon or the 84 year old prophetess Anna, whom we read about in Luke chapter 2?
Do we consider daily the Lord's return and the ramifications of that event?
Do we position ourselves to be led by the Spirit as Simeon was the day he went to the temple?
Simeon was led by the Spirit.  He listened to God and he expected to meet the Messiah before he died.

Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was on him.  It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord's Messiah.   Moved by the Spirit, he went tnto the temple courts. When the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for him what the custom of the Law required, Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying: "Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you may now dismiss your servant in peace.  For my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the sight of all nations: a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and the glory of your people Israel." Luke 2:25-32

Back to my dark filled morning yesterday…my 8AM trip to the grocery store occurred well past 3PM.
Prompted by the Spirit, I ceased from my busy-ness and took my "time by the tree," where I'm doing my Advent studies right now.  Then, when I did head to the store I said to the Lord, "I'm believing you have purpose in this delay. Open my eyes that I might see why I am there so late."

God had a blessing for me!  I ran into a friend from out of town, whom I'd been trying to see for two weeks, as well as four of my other favorite people, who make me smile!  Also, there is a man who works at the grocery store, whom I believe with all my heart is an angel in disguise, and I got to chat with him!
My soul was lifted up!  Had my day not had it's twist and turns, I would have missed these cheerful encounters!  Our God is into details!  He makes so much happen.

This weekend, I encourage you to hang out in Luke chapters 1 and 2.  Let's live expecting God to direct our paths and let's be quick to obey, pray and praise, as Mary did along the way.
Love y'all so much!  Wish you were here at Shiloh!

And Mary said: 'My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant.   From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me-holy is his name.  His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation.  He has performed mighty deeds with his arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.  He has brought down rulers from their thrones, but has lifted up the humble.  He has filled the hungry with good things, but has sent the rich away empty. He has helped his servant Israel, remembering to be merciful to Abraham and his descendants for ever, just as he promised our ancestors.  Luke 1:46-55

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?