The Father Never Fails


December 3
I've been missing my earthly father alot lately.  Maybe it's the season, maybe it's his picture on my dressing room table.  Maybe it's missing the constant security of a Father's unfailing love. Maybe it's God's way of drawing me to where I need to be…before Him.
Stepping on the scales, the numbers showed that Thanksgiving week had not been kind to my belly. My earthly father would have gently told me to "lose a few pounds."
God's loving whisper encouraged me.  "We've got this.  You gave up the sweet tea and you were doing so well with eliminating all that bread, let's get back on track.  We can do this."
The phrase: "The Father Never Falls" thrilled my heart.

Opening the 3rd John Piper Advent entry, I found it coincided well with where God was leading my heart.  The title: "Draw Near to the Savior."  That is what this season is supposed to be about…getting close to Jesus and appreciating his amazing gift!

Piper selected this passage for today:
Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory foreer and ever. Amen  Hebrews 13:20-21

"One of the things pleasing in God's sight is that his people keep on drawing near to him forever and ever. And so he is working in us this very thing…Is it not a wonderful thing this Advent season to know that God bids us come?…This is his invitation in these Advent readings: Draw near to me through your High Priest. Draw near to me in confession and prayer and meditation and trust and praise.  Come.  I will not cast you out."  John Piper

Father, as we celebrate the coming of Christ, we also celebrate You as our Shepherd!  Your creativity and plan for restoration through Christ as our sacrificial lamb shows us your unfailing love. Today, we draw near to You and receive that love.  As children loved by a King, we want to learn from you how to love others in your way. In Jesus' Name, Amen.


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?