Dear John 16 - In a Little While

My man, on deck!  Wait, on dock!

January 16
Most of this chapter references, in subtle ways, that in a little while Jesus will be departing. The disciples just don't get it.  When it comes to the entirety of Jesus, there is so much we just don't get.

Last Sunday our pastor preached a very insightful sermon, related to prayer.  John 16:23-24 taps into a similar lesson.
In that day you will not question Me about anything.
Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask the Father for anything in My name, He will give it to you.
Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask and you will receive, 
so that your joy may be made full.

Our pastor referenced "So that" prayers.  It was one of those revolutionary, the light bulb went off, moments for me.  If we insert the phrase so that into our prayers, we will focus on praying in God's will, for God's glory and not for our own selfish benefit.  It will take some gear shifting for most of us.

Lord, heal my body from this illness, so that  I can be about the business of sharing the Gospel with others.  In Jesus' Name

Lord, please send a resolution to this financial crisis we are facing, so that I can give more abundantly to my church and to ministries which are taking Your Word to the utter most parts of the earth.
In Jesus' Name

Lord, fill my home with joy and strengthen my marriage, so that others might see You in our home and marriage.  In Jesus' Name

Lord, bring restoration to the broken relationship I'm wounded by, so that the work You have for my girlfriend and me to do together will be a powerful influence on our neighborhood. In Jesus' Name.

Yup, this one will be a life changer for me!  Two little words that can turn our prayers around!

As we face each day, let's remember these comforting words of Christ to his beloved disciples:

These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. 
In the world you have tribulation, but take courage, I have overcome the world. 
John 16:33

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?