Dear John 2 Jesus Knows

 Youngest grandson
September 2014 cousins.

January 2
You've got to love this momma/son exchange in chapter 2 of John.  "Woman, why do you involve me?" Jesus said.  "Ha, my boys probably said, "Mama, why you getting involved in my business!"
Jesus goes on to tell her his time has not come, but being momma, she confidently turns to the servants and simple says, "Do whatever he tells you."  And the lack of wine issue at the wedding in Cana of Galilee is resolved.
After the hoopla and Jesus' first miracle, the family takes a retreat to the sea shore.  Joseph must have been dead by this time, because there is no mention of him...After this he went down to Capernaum with his mother and brothers and disciples.
Capernaum was home to the fishermen turned disciples...Peter, Andrew, James and John.  Tax collector, Matthew, called Capernaum home, as did Jesus during his ministry years.
I'm so glad both our preaching pastor and campus pastor were able to take time with family after their hectic holiday seasons. We need to follow Jesus' example and refresh ourselves.

Part two of this chapter exposes us to another side of Jesus.  
While I don't see myself taking cords and making a whip to crack at church or flipping over any tables there (v.15) I did zone in on a verse for the first time.  V. 17 His disciples remembered that it's written, "Zeal for your house will consume me."  Need to read more on this one.

Hmm? What consumes me?

But here is where I'm camping in this chapter.  This is what I want to pass along and remind my children and grandchildren.
V. 23-25  Now while he (Jesus) was in Jerusalem at the Passover Festival, many people saw the signs he was performing and believed in his name.  But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all people.  He did not need any testimony about mankind, for he knew what was in each person.

Lord, you are the Miracle Maker, but more importantly you are Love.  May each beat of our hearts and the peace that passes understanding be sufficient for my family and me when it comes to believing in You.  In a world where privacy no longer exists may we not fret, for You have always been able to see deep into our lives knowing what is in each person.  The reality of this should find us calling on the Holy Spirit to fill us up so we can live lives that bring glory and honor to You,  In Jesus Name, Amen



Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?