Remember


June 20-21
When hit by unexpected tragedy, we often go mentally numb.  Not knowing what was going to happen with our loved ones in two hospitals the past few days, I've had three bags packed and in the car. One for Puerto Rico, one for Roanoke, VA and one tote with my purse, computer/iPad and Bible study books.  Nothing has been utilized.  I feel like all I did yesterday was watch my phone for messages from PR and stare at heart rate and blood pressure numbers on a vitals machine in ICU.  Somewhere along the way, I think I realized my brain couldn't even pray coherently and I hoped my spirit was.

My flotation divice has been the scriptures people have texted and the sustaining email devotionals God has sent, which have reminded me He is still aware of my situation.  Prayerfully, today I will move out of shock mode be used by Him.

This exert from the devotional below pricks our senses to remember the faithfulness of God.  

For years I’ve wanted to collect a pile of small river rocks, wash them, and then write key words and a date on each one to remind me of an answered prayer or a “God moment.” Then, when I’m tempted to forget God’s faithfulness, I can pull out a rock to remind me of a special experience with my King—and I could fall in love with Him all over again.
Unfortunately, I haven’t gotten around to collecting the rocks, so I use my journal to help me remember His goodness. A few years ago, I wrote a note to God after recalling some of my story with Him:
Knowing you has been the most exhilarating, painful, beautiful, difficult, lovely, desperate, treacherous experience ever! We’ve lived a grand adventure, haven’t we, God? Sometimes I’ve felt that my heart would burst from pain, and other times I’ve felt it would overflow with so much song that I couldn’t stop singing. Life with you has all the elements of a great love story or an on- the-edge-of-your-seat movie. Life with you is an adventure worth remembering.
In Psalm 77:1-10, while experiencing heartache, Asaph momentarily forgets God’s faithfulness instead of remembering His goodness. With gut-wrenching honesty, he asks, “Will the Lord reject forever? Will he never show his favor again? Has his unfailing love vanished forever? Has his promise failed for all time? Has God forgotten to be merciful? Has he in anger withheld his compassion?” (Psalm 77:7-9).
Finally Asaph’s faith returns, and his heart softens when he writes, “I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago. I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds” (Psalm 77:11-12).
Even during desperate disappointment, Asaph chose faith over unbelief in God’s faithfulness. As a result, he experienced hope, peace, and acceptance instead of a hardened heart.


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?