In The Twinkling of An Eye

You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.
Isaiah 26:3 
This morning, I'm awaiting the arrival of the senior class from the school where my husband works. Today is a special retreat day for them here at our home and the highlight was to be a boat adventure to Bridgewater Marina for lunch.
Life can change in a moment.

August  27
Thanks to all of you who have texted, emailed and called.  It has been a tragic time for our laid back, out of the way lake community and our hometown, Roanoke.

As our granddaughter would say, "I was an early bird" yesterday.  By 6:50AM I was headed out on a morning walk.  Moments later I heard sirens, which is quite strange out here in the country.  At 7:00 my phone rang and my husband said he'd had 12 sheriffs' and state troopers' cars fly past him on the way to work.  We both knew something was very, very wrong.  By 8:00 he called telling me a shooter was on the loose.  We chose not to worry our children, but by 8:30 it was national news and they were calling us. Law enforcement recommended my husband, who is the head of a Christian School here in Franklin County, take precautions, so they went on low level lockdown.  So many people, children included, had seen the shootings on live TV that morning.  One of his students lives right across from the marina and heard the shots, but they had no idea what it was. Disbelief and shock set in throughout our county and the Roanoke Valley where the three victims were all appreciated and adored.

A text crossed my phone screen from an out of town friend saying, 
"At least you can be light!"
How do you be light when you are numb and filled with grief.
Around 1:00 a friend texted and asked, "Do you have a prayer?"  I didn't.  Every time I opened my Bible, the phone would ring, a text would come or I'd turn the sound back on the TV, which I had muted.

Sadness is all around at the thought of these two young lives taken in such a horrific manner.
Taking to Facebook...

A godly young woman in Nashville, who knew both of the WDBJ employees, wrote on Facebook:  "Evidence that our world is fallen and broken. Mourning with those who mourn. The evil one fought hard today, but I am thankful that we know who wins in the end."  Annie Lawrence. 

Another...
"Dear God, fill our hearts with unifying love that creates quilts of comfort for our hearts and minds."  Marlene Groth

A work colleague , Melissa Gaona, of Adam Ward's wrote that Adam was a godly man and they would often pray together in their truck before going live. 

That is where the light and peace began to creep in for me.  To know this young man is with Jesus. When life spirals out of control and evil lifts its ugly head...we must turn our eyes upon Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith.

While I can't grasp how the parents, lovers, friends and co-workers of these individuals will walk through the days, weeks, and a lifetime with the images they are carrying of those last moments, I pray that God will use it for good and people who have hesitated to come to the Lord will surrender to his love.

May we all take notice and consider what the phrase..."In a twinkling of an eye" means.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?