Three Week Mark

 Walk Way at St. Thomas Hospital-Nothing shall be impossible with God! 

October 5th -Three Week Glance Back Evening addition!

September 14th our daughter was having her Bible Study group over for some fellowship. Instead, at 5PM, she found herself sitting in the front of an ambulance heading with me to the ER.  She said as the ambulance pulled out of her driveway, she thought, "We should be back by 7:30 when the ladies are coming over."  She now says, "I was clueless."
My suitcase for this trip contained one nightgown and three pairs of panties, as I planned to stay three nights, not a month.  I too was clueless as to what the days ahead held.

October 4th Biblegateway posted Proverbs 27:1 The Message translation states:

Don't brashly announce what you're going to do tomorrow; 
you don't know the first thing about tomorrow!

Three weeks ago today life took a mysterious turn.  
Our youngest son and his wife came to Nashville Friday to Mama Boo sit for 4 days and I told them I felt like I’d lost three weeks. Later I thought about that statement and realized I didn’t lose anything. I gained a closer walk to the Lord, cherished moments with my children, love and prayers from people I adore, new friends and a more compassionate outlook on life.

Proverbs 27:1 verse unnerved me a bit.
Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.”  Proverbs 27:1

I’ve been praising the Lord and my therapists for strengthening me every day (am hoping that doesn’t qualify as boasting).

We did not know today would bring medical needs for our 4 year old grandson Harrison. Once again Betty Ashton remained cool and calm in a very stressful situation. Betty Ashton and I had to jump in the car with the boys and rush Harrison to the pediatrician’s office this afternoon. He’s been running a fever since Friday, but took a turn for the worse after a nap today. His breathing was greatly impaired and his fever was over 103.  The doctor immediately put him on a nebulizer, gave him steroids and tylenol.  Pray he can rest tonight and be well soon.  His three year old brother has just awakened crying our with fever. How I pray the adults don't succumb to this flu virus.

This morning as my son pulled up to the rehab center my eyes fixated on the woman getting out of the car in front of us.  An aide helped her pull up out of the car and grab onto her walker.  Her right hand and right leg were each supported by braces.  Immediately, I knew...she was a stoke victim.  We ended up in the elevator together, her head pointed downward and her countenance filled with despair. I made my way to the back of the elevator beside her and said, "I had a stroke three weeks ago. Don't you give up fighting."  She looked up and smiled with only the left side of her face.  We made our way into the same therapy center. Her aide assisted her to the bathroom and I sat down beside my son in the waiting room and took deep breaths to hold back the sobs.  My recovery is coming so quickly.  I have so many friends and family members walking along side me.  I don't want to miss a beat of what this all means in God's scheme of things.

Therapy is always a new challenge.  Our son laughed out loud when the therapist tossed me a tennis ball and asked if I'd ever played tennis!  I was literally raised on the tennis court in our back yard!  He also laughed when she suggested he take me to a court and get me to try to hit some balls left handed.  "Not real sure she's up to the footwork," he commented.  I think we both saw me laid up all scuffed up on the asphalt!  I'm realizing a key aspect of therapy is the challenge, not necessarily doing the assignment successfully, but pushing your brain to accept the challenge.

After therapy, I wanted to treat my son to the famous Nashville "Pancake Pantry."  The line was wrapping around the building, so he let me out to get a place in line while he parked.  Within a minute, a woman walked up to me and said, "I'm homeless. Will you give me money to go to Kroger to buy milk and bread?"  My reply, "I'm not going to give out cash, but I'd be happy for you to join me for breakfast."
Whew, the glare she gave me revealed her heart and it wasn't a happy one.  She made her way to a bench and pulled out a pack of cigarettes and had a smoke.  When my son arrived I told him she wasn't happy with me.  "What would you have done if she agreed to breakfast?" he asked.  "I guess we would have eaten with her!" I replied.

After breakfast we went for a walk and then I went straight for the couch when we got home and I slept for two hours!  Then a sweet friend of our daughter's from church gave me a much needed haircut.  There was no one else in the shop, so we just chatted away about Jesus!

The neurology office called this afternoon and got approval from the insurance company to do another type CTscan and an ultra sound on me Wednesday at 9:30.  I'm praying those are normal.  While the doctors want to know what caused this stroke, I”m really ok with just moving forward and trusting the Lord.

Love, Boo









Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?