The Samaritan Woman



November 1

"The woman said to him, 'Sir, give me this water so that I won't get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water.'"  John 4:15

An incredible aspect of the "Living Word" is the "alive" element.  It is always active, penetrating our hearts in various ways in the ever changing seasons of our lives.  Take the John verse above.  The story of the Samaritan woman most likely came into my life the first time fifty years ago in Sunday school.  An initial guess would be that the lesson I took away at that time was that Jesus was willing to interact with someone most Jewish men would not.

There are numerous lessons in this one story, but the one that has grabbed me this time around is what the woman wanted from Jesus.  The attraction of His offer was convenience. She would not have to keep coming back to draw water.

Okay, I'm going deep here. Have you ever asked yourself..."What is it I want from Jesus?" I'll be honest, eternal life was a BIG bonus for signing up for the program.  Then there's the peace that passes understanding that comes with trusting Jesus. The Psalms that soothe life's hurts are a definite perk. On and on we could go with the benefits of Christianity, but once you enter into that relationship there should be some reciprocal action.  The greatest part of the relationship with Jesus is being loved unconditionally and loving Him back in the same fashion.


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?