Write On!

February 18-19
May these examples of personal notes encourage us to write to someone this weekend.
I've encouraged our children to keep a treasure box for our grandchildren of personal notes sent to them.

Here is a note from an 8 year old and it says a lot!

What is a Grandma?
A grandmother is a lady who has no children of her own, so she likes other people's little girls.
A grandfather is a man grandmother.  He goes for walks with the boys and they talk fishing and things like that.
Grandma's don't have anything to do except be there. It is enough if they drive us to the supermarket where the pretend horse is and have lots of dimes ready.  Or if they take us for walks, they should slow down past pretty leaves and caterpillars.  They should never say "hurry up."  Usually they are fat but not too fat to tie kids' shoes. They wear glasses and funny underwear. They can take their teeth and gums out.  It is better if they don't typewrite or play cards except with us.  They don't have to be smart, only answer questions like why do dogs hate cats and how come God isn't married.  They don't talk visitors talk like visitors do, because it is hard to understand.  When they read to us they don't skip words or mind if it is the same story again.

Everybody should try to have a  grandmother, especially if you don't have television, because grandmas are the only grownups who have got time."

The next letter in the bundle is one my father saved that I had written to him.
Daddy, 
I'm sitting on our screened porch with a blanket on my legs as there is a chill in the air, but I love it out here by the lake. I'm doing a Bible Study on heaven and how it is our reward, our home and a place of rejoicing forever.  The promise of heaven fills me with such hope and I am so thankful you and Mama brought us up in the Christian faith.
Revelation 22:12 says: "Listen! I'm coming soon!  I will bring my reward with me and I will repay each one of you for what yo have done."
2 Peter 1:11 "And you will be given a very great welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."
I so look forward to the day I see Jesus face to face. There are times I miss Mama, as I know you do, and now I miss my friend Kaye so much, but I know they loved the Lord with all their hearts and they are experiencing no suffering.
I thank God for the long life He has given you and for the example you have been to your family. I am praying today for you to be full of joy, have reasons to laugh and for God to be merciful and your body not ache.
I'm so thankful God gave me you for an earthly father. See you in April. I love you."

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?