Irma

"Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground."
Psalm 143:10
September 9
The above verse was on Biblegateway yesterday.
The texts on my phone yesterday from Florida family and friends showed that anxiety was increasing as Irma has shifted direction.  I can’t even imagine dealing with the traffic and fuel issues, not to mention those at airports and in hospitals/nursing homes.
One friend texted they have waited too long to get out and are heading to a shelter tomorrow. The shelter doesn’t take dogs so they were trying to get their dog taken elsewhere. She was washing, ironing, doing any chores that require electricity and moving all their window front furniture/possessions to an interior space.  She just texted again they have gotten in the car (5:30AM) and are trying to get out because of the predictions of what the aftermath will be like.  We want them to come here, but they have no idea how far they can get and when they can get fuel.
And here we sit on this beautiful day at SML.

Let’s thank God for the gift of faith.  A faith that can move mountains and hurricanes and keep praying, praying, praying.

Here’s a song by Casting Crowns for you to listen to and maybe share with your Florida contacts while they have power.
(I’ve put lyrics at the end of this post if you want to sing along.)


A group gathered in Jacksonville a couple days ago to pray Irma away.
https://www.news4jax.com/weather/hurricane-irma/as-some-evacuate-ahead-of-hurricane-irma-others-stay-and-pray

Love this Rabbi’s prayer.
https://reformjudaism.org/practice/prayers-blessings/prayer-approaching-hurricane


Let's pray:
God place your hand of protection over human life, property and possessions, destruction from mighty winds, strong rain and surging waves. Weaken this storm and send it out in the Gulf to die.
We give thanks for the government officials and first responders who are working long hours already to provide protection for so many people. Guard them and comfort their families as these people make such sacrifices. We rejoice that while electrical power can be lost, God’s power is ever present and is a guiding light.
Thank You Father for the army of angels who have been dispatched and will offer care and protection as danger approaches.
Thank You that Your Word says You can provide a peace which passes understanding.  
We need that Father.  You are a good good Father who loves us dearly.
In the Mighty Name of Jesus, Amen
Lyrics to: Praise You in the Storm
I was sure by now, God you would have reached down And wiped our tears away, Stepped in and saved the day.                                                                                       But once again, I say amen   That it's still raining As the thunder rolls I barely hear your whisper through the rain                                                                                                                                      I'm with you And as your mercy falls I raise my hands and praise The God who gives and takes away
And I'll praise you in this storm And I will lift my hands That you are who you are No matter where I am And every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand You never left my side And though my heart is torn I will praise you in this storm
I remember when I stumbled in the wind You heard my cry you raised me up again My strength is almost gone how can I carry on                                                                  If I can't find you As the thunder rolls I barely hear you whisper through the rain I'm with you And as your mercy falls                                                                                     I raise my hands and praise The God who gives and takes away
Chorus
I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The maker of heaven and earth
I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The maker of heaven and earth
Chorus

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?