Holiday Grief

A lamppost near the lake!
"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."
Psalm 119:105 
December 7
The holidays stir up sweet memories and many of those memories relate to a loved one who is no longer here to celebrate with us. It can be a very difficult time of year.
A sweet friend of mine lost her husband last month, another lost her sister this week, for one friend this will be the first Christmas without her mother, while a couple others are approaching the anniversaries of the loss of their children.  Each of you has a story of longing, I feel sure.

Another friend eloquently email me on the topic of holiday grief:
"When I was a child I never thought of Christmas as a sad time until I was 16 and my 7 year old brother died following surgery at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.  Now, at Christmas even in the midst of the joy, I think of those I love who are no longer with me to celebrate. It is a joyous season and we wish everyone we love was around the Christmas table."

The girlfriend who lost her husband last month posted this song by The Piano Guys, on Facebook.  It is beautifully presented.  I hope it brings healing to you heart if you are hurting and affords you the opportunity to share a precious gift with someone you know who is experiencing grief.  Let's keep our hearts open and sensitive to the hurt that is around us.


"Grief, I've learned, is really just love. It's all the love you want to give but cannot. All of that unspent love gathers up in the corners of your eyes, the lump in your throat, and in that hollow part of your chest.  Grief is just love with no place to go."  Jamie Anderson

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?