To Be...Comforted


March 13
Last week I had the privilege of spending time with a friend, who was actively dying after a long battle with lung cancer.  In that situation, I'm always taken back to the last hours with my parents before they finished their earthly journey and I'm thankful for the people who comforted me.


"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God."     2 Corinthians 1:3-4
That same day I received a text from a forever friend requesting prayer for a breast cancer biopsy. This friend is always so life giving that I'm struggling thinking of the battle that may lay ahead.  In her text she said to me, "Remember, we are to be thankful for our trials. You were with your stroke."

She was a step ahead of me with her faith walk.   No, she was miles ahead of me. 

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance."  James 1:2-3

Then yesterday afternoon, one of the loveliest, filled with southern charm, God-fearing, sits on her front porch doing Bible study as a light to the whole neighborhood, standing firm in the faith mentors I've ever been privileged to call my friend, shared the results of blood work she had done last week. She's been diagnosed with leukemia and has been given six months to live.  "I want to be found faithful to bring God glory through this," she said on the phone.

"We plan the way we want to live, but only God makes us able to live it." Proverbs 16:9

Life is a lot, I often say, but it is never too much for God to work through and weave something beautiful from.

Currently our pastor is preaching a series entitled, "Words from the Cross."  The powerful statements that Jesus makes surrounding his crucifixion. "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do," to those yelling "Crucify him!"  "Today, you will be in paradise," to the thief on another cross.  "Woman, behold your son (to his mother Mary, referencing John)...Behold, your mother. (Requesting John take care of Mary as if she was his mother)."
All this words point outward towards others. They are not about Jesus, who is in excruciating pain and would seem to have some major needs himself.  Likewise, life is not all about us, but about how we are called to life a life for Christ.  That requires knowing who God is, trusting in his plans and looking past our needs to be able to comfort others.  

Holy Spirit, fill us up to be comforters!

 

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?