To Be...Guarding Our Tongues

 
Out with the moon!
June 12


The other morning I was up before the birds. I went out to my porch perch and couldn’t help myself. I began to whistle my own bird call.  My husband came out and said, “You are going to disrupt the course of nature!”  I did wake a few birds up, including a woodpecker, but I think they went back to sleep.
As I read Psalm 2:11 I realized I better have a bit more reverence for God’s order!
Worship the LORD with reverence And rejoice with trembling.” Psalm 2:11

Our mouths or whistles can get us in a heap of trouble and they can dish out a mound of hurt.

"Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips." Psalm 141:3

"Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity."
 Proverbs 21:23

In our women's summer study we just completed reading Peter Lord's book, Bless and Be Blessed.  I issued the women the following challenge from a chapter in the book.  You may want to take the challenge.

Everyone enjoys appreciation, acceptance, approval, affection, attention, affirmation, and admiration, and when we give these responses to people, we help them develop in good ways.”  

Appreciation-is the simple act of recognizing the good in others and acknowledging it.

Acceptance-When people feel they are not wanted or accepted, it is traumatic and soul shattering.  Much of life activity is geared to seeking acceptance. 

Approval-To accept someone is one thing; to approve of him or her goes a step beyond…If approval is not expressed, we assume the worst-someone does not approve of us.

Affection-Caring, friendliness, and words of love are sure ways to express affection.  Without affection in regular doses, people feel unloved.

Attention-There is a real ADD-attention deficit disorder-in human relationships. Throughout our lives we spend a great deal of time seeking the attention of others, and more and more it seems that we are incapable of giving our undivided attention to someone else.

Affirmation-People are seeking your affirmation; without it, their souls are withering.  You speak words of affirmation when you say things like: ‘I have noticed what a kind person you are.’ ‘You have a wonderful smile.’ ‘You responded so well to that irritable customer.’

Admiration-Our self-esteem soars when we are told we are special, and it stinks when a negative thing is said. Admiration is the expression of sincere esteem, whereas flattery is false and insincere praise offered with an ulterior motive.”       Peter Lord  

Under each category of positive feedback above list the name of someone you could encourage in that way.  
Choose one person to offer up and put into action today and then work towards the others in the future.  

“Keep each other’s spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.”  Ephesians 6:18



Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?