The Magnolia Tree...This is Life

February 6-7th

Three friends emailed this week to say, "I am heading to Florida. Enough of this winter." While they may be hitting the beaches today, I wouldn't trade my winter wonderland walk for anything.
You may be able to enter this address and see a slide show of my experience on Smile Box. If not email me at boojoyful@aol.com and I will send it to you.
http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/openTheBox?sendevent=4d5451334d7a4d314d4442384d6a45344d6a45354e7a493d0d0a&sb=1

The leaves and limbs of our magnolia tree were laden with snow. Before heading off to walk, I wanted to come to the aide of this stately tree for it was carrying quite a snowy burden. Carrying a 12' long piece of wood I began to knock the snow from the branches. The heavy, wet, snow placed such stress on the limbs. Thoughts of friends and family members carrying huge burdens came to mind as I worked and I began to pray for them. Utilizing the long stick was strenuous and at one point I realized it was much more effective to grab onto the limbs which I could reach and give them a gentle shake. Whoosh, the thought came to me. How often do I take time to reach out and bear the burdens of people close to me?
The next level of limbs could not be reached without the assistance of the wooden pole. Likewise there is another tier of people who are in need. Often aide necessitates partnering with other individuals or missions groups to accomplish the goal before us. Trying my best to be gentle, the awkwardness of the pole fledgling in the air still occasionally caused leaves or limbs to be broken off. Visions of rescue efforts in Haiti came to mind, as well as spiritual lessons learned in life which have involved loss.
In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.
1 Peter 1:6-7

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds,
because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

James 1:2-3

The snow is pouring down again, so the process will be repeated.
Ah and so it is in life...there is always a need at hand.
Visiting on the phone yesterday with my almost ninety year old father,
who wisely has wintered in Florida this year, I was sharing news. Some happy,
some sad. His quote rings so true...."This is life!"

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?