Ay Yie Yie

July 1

Brace yourself! My walking buddy is a Yankee and I love her! My children know one of my most frequently used exclamatory phases is "Lawsie, lawsie"! My girl friend on the other hand, with her elaborate NY intonation will react to astonishing news with an "Ay, Yie, Yie" (not really sure how to spell that).

We were both stuck to the pavement in our running shoes this morning by the shock of what "went down". (I think that may be a NY phrase as well.)

In earlier posts, I have written of God revealing his presence to me through a yellow butterfly. This monarch follows me everywhere. Nudging me and pointing, my friend acknowledged the butterfly's appearance before us on the road. I exclaimed how amazing the longevity of the butterfly had been this season and noted the coloring seemed to be fading on the butterfly. "Last night the butterfly came to the hammock where my husband and I were lying and I actually thought it was going to land on my knee," I relayed ecstatically. My heart thrilled at this symbol of God's presence. Then we both gasped and grabbed for each other, frozen in our tracks with our mouths open. A blue jay flew right in front of us and ATE the butterfly! Immediately prayers flew out of my mouth and my friend said, "What does this mean?"
My thoughts went to the spiritual battle which surrounds us and how in so many ways there are attempts to extinguish God from our nation. My friend referred back to how I had noticed the fading color and praised God for quickly taking this creature so it did not have to suffer. Sharing the story with my husband his take was..."The bird was hungry!" :)
2 Peter is where we left off on our New Testament journey and in chapter 3 Peter speaks of "The Day of the Lord".
"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief" (or a blue jay gobbling a yellow butterfly)..."You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming."
Let's Pray:
Father God, how amazing is Your love for us. Our knees buckle to bow before You as we think of the sacrifice You gave in the life of Your precious Son. The song..."Are you ready?" has come to mind. Who is it we are wondering if they are ready to see You face to face? Do we need to tell of Your love to another today? Prepare our hearts in a way that we are over joyed when you snatch us from this earth and we see You face to face. Equip us with the essential tools to relay that confidence of our faith to others who may wonder. The sense that You are preparing some of us for the death of a loved one is powerful right now. Be our peace, Lord. Be our peace. In Jesus' name, Amen

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?