The Switch

August 26
Oh, my goodness Labor Day is almost here and I need to switch out the clothes in my closets. I think I will wear my white sandals, white shorts and white pants every day this week, since I can't wear them after Labor Day. "What?" you say. "Where did you hear such a rule?" From my Mama of course! The roots of this tradition are confirmed on wisegeek.com, but the paragraphs below show that there may be some leniency for me!
Wow! We've come a long way baby!
"The roots of the idea that people should not wear white after Labor Day appear to be shrouded in mystery, and the rule has been greatly relaxed since the 1950s and 1960s, when it was more heavily enforced. People who choose to wear white after Labor Day are no longer heavily criticized for the choice, and are sometimes embraced as fashion forward trendsetters. There are several theories about the the rule which governs people who wear white after Labor Day. The first and most sensible is that it reminded people not to wear summer weight clothing during the Winter. It may be tempting to don a pair of light pumps in the crisp weather of early fall, but changing weather can make it an unwise decision. By not wearing white shoes after Labor Day, people can ensure that they don't end up with soiled, cold shoes. It is also conceivable that the the rule not to wear white after Labor Day was adopted as part of a larger movement to “educate” the nouveau riche. Older society families were concerned about the fashion etiquette of more recent additions, and established a complex code of fashion rules to guide them."

While this complex code of rules has flown right out the door, there is still switching to be done. Today I began looking through my planters trying to determined which plants will make it until the first frost, which ones need to be tossed now and which ones may need to come inside for winter.

With the nightmare situation our economy is facing we need to be switching some job tactics and definitely altering our spending habits.

When it comes to our faith what do we need to switch?

But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code. Romans 7:6

You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires. Ephesians 4:22

We must relinquish the reigns of control on our lives and switch to a life which is Spirit led as Jesus explains to his disciples.

Then Jesus went to work on his disciples. "Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat; I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself? What could you ever trade your soul for? Matthew 16:24

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?