The Things You Do

August 12
Back in the 90's there was a movie called That Thing You Do. I don't know that I ever watched it in entirety, dead beat mom that I was by that time, but I remember our children watching it over and over again! It seems that one weekend here at the lake if ran continually and the room was filled with laughter. What The Sound of Music was to me, I think this flick was to our children. (Maybe not. :) Hmm, are Julie Andrews and Tom Hanks (I believe he was the star) comparable?
A cherished friend (one of those who keeps her ears open to God) called yesterday and had an amazing "word" for me. The timing was perfect as enemy was wanting to win the mind game with me and bring out a satchel full of sauerkraut(sadness) instead of allow me to open a jar full of jelly beans(joy). This woman has been up against huge obstacles herself, yet she was being obedient to share with me what she felt the Lord urging her to share. It was as if God himself had said, "Check this out."
(I will share the message, which is powerful in a minute.)
After being out of town for the day, I crawled into bed late to find two emails from the Lord (via a neighbor). Earlier in the week, two prayer requests that others had made on my behalf were answered within 5 minutes of these people praying them. Embarrassingly, I must admit I was amazed when this happened...like "How could God do that so quickly?" Lord, forgive me for those weak moments in my faith! Sharing these thoughts with my friend, we both agreed that as wonderful as it is to have the prayers answered the real perk is knowing how real God is and watching Him pour out his love upon us in ways that we recognize He ordained. God is the REAL DEAL!

Have our big obstacles disappeared? No, they have not, but God is still on his throne and these little faith builders help us to stay the course and realize there is always purpose in the things God does!

The message she wants me to listen to is titled Overcoming Discouragement by a speaker named Bill Johnson. It is about the battle of our minds and how when we allow disappointment to fill our hearts there isn't room for Christ to occupy our hearts. They reside in the same place in our hearts, so we need to kick discouragement our and make room for Daddy! That was my input, not Mr. Johnson's.)
The verse she referenced, which has led me into some great lessons with the Lord this morning, is Proverbs 13:12.
Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.

Man oh man, has hope been the word for me this past year. Admittedly, I think there have been times I have wavered and deferred hope and yes, it made my heart sick. What is on your longing list right now? As women, I think particularly mothers, we want to have disappointment keep its distance from our loved ones and we can slip into a manipulative mode or take just the opposite route and even suppress our dreams and desires and settle for less than God's best. (I think the later comes as we get older, young mothers fight and manipulate like mother tigers.) Neither of these actions satisfy. Satisfaction comes from trusting in the depth of God's love and believing He sees the future and knows what is best.

Let's Pray: Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty! Thank You Father for your amazing grace and the ability to clean up our messes and mend our broken hearts. Awaken us to Your presence today and the realization that there is perfect purpose in the things You do! Give confidence to those of us who are waiting for You to answer our prayers. Help us to remember there is a plan and a big part of the plan is to draw us into deeper relationship with You in the midst of our longings. All glory and honor and praise to You for the things You have done and the things You will do. In Jesus' Name Amen

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?