What are we sucking up?

October 26

Forgive me Lord, but I started house cleaning before I began writing for You today. You know the sound your vacuum makes when you suck up something more than dirt? We have a central vac, which is much easier on my back issues, but the risk is vacuuming up something that might get stuck in the inner walls of your home. Once I got to close to a string of pearls and in they went. My immediate reaction was devastating like over correcting a vehicle. Hitting the off button, my hope was to catch the pearls in the hose, but what happened is they got into the pipeline and took a plunge. Had I left the vacuum on they probably would have made it to the final dumping ground and I could have gotten them. (Now don't plot a treasure house and come tear my walls apart, I came up with a solution and finally forced them out).
This morning as I was in a bathroom, not my own, I heard the clink, clink noise and realized I had accidentally intercepted something larger than dirt! I took on an "Oh, well, it's not mine dude," attitude and kept on vacuuming. That is when the Lord gave me a message to share.
Whether through the media, movies, music, print or verbal proposals what is the filter we use for what we are sucking into our minds? How often do we take things in unfiltered and not show the least bit of concern for what we have placed in our minds? What we place in our minds stays there somewhere, maybe not at the forefront, but it is filed away.
Last week singing and praying around a campfire with some women, a young girl spoke up in amazement. She was probably around 20 years old. We were singing old hymns and she was floored by the fact she knew the lyrics. Recalling her childhood days in church, she realized the hymns she had heard as a young child had stayed with her and now she was able to sing them.

God calls us to guard our minds, to be on the alert for danger and take our stand against the devil. We must have an active faith, which is full of discernment and aware of what we are sucking into our minds.

Be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Ephesians 6:18

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8

My husband reads these devos. Confession: It was his bathroom, so if something important is missing my love, I will fish it out of the trash tank for you!

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?