L is for Loving Touch








June 22
"Loving" is a fabulous attribute, while not on the list of 101 Affirming Words.  Visiting the pediatrician's office with two of our grandsons, the one year old went up to every child in the "well" waiting room and placed his hand on them in an act of loving affirmation.  A three year old boy looked at his mother and inquired "Touch the baby?"  At first she said no, but I gave the go ahead and said he would love a hug.  All the hearts in that doctor's office melted as these two little blondes embraced!

God really tapped into an amazing sense when he created touch.  So many long for it.  Last week I saw a great clip online (I think it was from the Today's show or Good Morning America).  A young college gentleman had himself videoed randomly going up to strangers and holding their hand.  The reactions were pretty funny.

One of my more embarrassing moments was a hand holding encounter at a prayer time in Sunday School class.  My husband and I always hold hands when prayer occurs...corporate or private. Often I find myself stroking his hand with my thumb.  Not being a coffee drinker I may be a little slower getting a jump start on coherency in the morning.  The class was called to hold hands to pray.  My husband was on my right and an attractive male college student, who was visiting, on my left.  Somewhere in the midst of the prayer time I realized I was stroking both the hands I was holding!  So embarrassing!  I tried to explain myself afterwards.

Instead of worrying about spreading germs today, let's consider how a simple touch of a hand held or a shoulder caressed might help spread Jesus!

 A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.
John 13:34-35

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?