Charlotte's Web Made Me Cry

 Moses dressed for his first viewing of Charlotte's Web.

A friend loves at all times.
Proverbs 17:17
October 19
Fortunately, since our library only had the movie Charlotte's Web in that format, we still have a VCR.
Early on in the film my grandson and I were dancing around to the chipper, pick me up song, sung by Charlotte titled: "Chin Up".
Lyrics:
"Chin up, chin up. Everybody loves a happy face
Wear it, share it. It'll brighten up the darkest place
Twinkle, sparkle Let a little sunshine in
You'll be on the right side Looking at the bright side
Up with your chinny chin, chin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHtjYTM64Jo

This happy tune alines well with Proverbs 17:22
A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.

When Charlotte died I wanted to sob, but I didn't want to upset my sweet little buddy. Uncontrollable tears poured down my cheeks, but I held in the sobs. My surprising response to this  classic piece of literature, which I have watched in film form numerous times, read to my own children and taught in the classroom, really caught me off guard.  Googling Charlotte's Web quotes, this dialog between Wilbur and Charlotte hit the nail on the head, it revealed the grief I still carry missing one of my best friends who died earlier this year.
  
"Why did you do all this for me? he asked.  "I don't deserve it. I've never done anything for you."
"You have been my friend," replied Charlotte.  "That in itself is a tremendous thing."

Friendships are such a treasure and we should take time to nurture them.  A friend whom I had not seen in awhile gave me a ride to meet my husband the other day. She shared how it was so refreshing to have a friendship where you can go months without seeing each other, but pick right back up where you left off.  Life keeps us so busy.  Just as water breaks are needed, so are breaks from our routine to take time to recharge our friendships.

Here is another quote worth meditating upon.
..."A spider's life can't help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies.  By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle.  Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little bit of that."     E .B. White, Charlotte's Web   

We might rewrite it to say:
"My life can't help being something of a mess, with all its' temptations and sin. By helping others, hopefully our testimony puts us in a position to share with them about the love of Christ and lift all of our lives up a trifle.  Heaven knows anyone's life can stand to be a little bit more like Jesus."

There is an unlikely friend out there just waiting to be found!  Have a great day living Jesus' way!

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?