Philippians Focus #2


October 4
Now I want you to know brothers, that what has happened to me 
has really served to advance the gospel.
Philippians 1:12

This is really where the rubber meets the road.  When we come to the realization that our personal trials can have purpose and advance the gospel. Flash back 9 years with me to an intensive care unit in Charlottesville, VA at UVA. One of our sons lay in critical condition following a car accident.  We had notified his older siblings who were in route from various cities.  His younger two siblings were attending a Young Life camp in NY.  He didn't want us to tell them, because he didn't want to ruin their week.  At this point we did not know if he would live and he faced a good possibility of never walking again.
I remember holding his hand and telling him two things. One, we wanted the prayers from as many people as possible and there would plenty to pray at YL camp. Two, if God could use this to bring even one person to the saving knowledge of Christ,  like Paul, we could rejoice because this tragedy served to advance the gospel.  
When one of the sons heard what had happened he told his younger brother and counselor that he really believed his brother was dead and we were just trying to make them feel better until they got home.  Then he said, "I am jealous of him, because he is with Jesus." That comment mirrors something else Paul states in this chapter.
For me to live is Christ and to die is gain...I am torn between the two:I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body."
That response changed the lives of every other boy in their cabin. Eight prayed to receive Christ and one rededicated his life.  The story of what had unfolded was emailed to every Young Life camp in the nation.  Give God the glory, glory!
Here comes a wad of wisdom.
Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ....
For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him, since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have.
Philippians 1:27, 29

When my girlfriend lost her battle to cancer this year, she gained her victory in Christ.  She didn't want those of us left behind to curl up, close up and drop our heads, as if in defeat. She wanted us to continue to live victoriously for the cause of Christ.  To share of the confidence she had in Christ on earth, because Jesus is her Savior and to acknowledge we have assurance she is in a new glorious body, elated to be in Christ's presence right now.  In other words: Philippians 1:27....she wanted us to conduct ourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Put on a happy face and rejoice for what she had gained.

Rushing to get to a yarn shop yesterday before closing, I first encounter a logging truck, which pulled out in front of me, on to a single lane road. He easily could have let me go, instead of having to inch along on these back roads behind him.  As I neared town the high school was letting out and there was terrible traffic, plus some unobservant drivers who missed lights changing. Fortunately, I withheld the urge to honk.  After a few, "Are you kidding me's?" I thought about this verse and how I was conducting myself.  Taking a deep breath I turned on a Christian radio station and chilled out, choosing to conduct myself in a manner worthy of Christ.  :)

Let's gitty up and advance the gospel today!  Our predicaments haven't caught God by surprise.  He will lead us through well aware of our suffering and loving us more than anyone else could all along the way.  Thank You, Jesus.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?