Talking and Teaching

Friends decorating our neighborhood country club tree.
December 3
Every year I make the effort to slow the pace, but somehow the rat race of the double holidays jumps up to bite me and I get sucked right in.  So much of it is "doing good" but we could spread those good acts out across the year and leave a little breathing room for November-December.

With boxes falling on my head, I was searching last minute for packing options for truck loads of food the school children had gathered for needy families.  I had saved these empty boxes in the garage , wanting to be prepared should our house sell.  Now my husband needed them for a GOOD purpose, yet I was hesitant to let them go.  Sorting through this I thought, "Now what will happen if someone calls and wants us to move out of the house this week and I need to start packing."
The Holy Spirit conviction set in and I heard-"Don't hold on to things which are perishable."
"But God…" I started to rationalize with Him and he cut me off with the reminder, "My ways are not your ways."
Packed into my husband's truck, off the boxes went.  God and I were still going round and round.  By this time I had picked up a broom and was sweeping.  I heard, "Drop everything, go sit and listen to me."  Here I was having the interaction with God I long for and I wanted to sweep. He wanted me to go "take note" of His teachings.
The devil was tossing darts of distraction by the time I got my pen and pad out.  The phone was ringing, the floors looked dirty and in need of mopping, but I sat.  How rude I am to walk out on God at times, right when he is talking and teaching.

But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, 
will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
John 14:26

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
Isaiah 55:8

Do not remember the sins of my  youth and my rebellious ways;
according to your love remember me, for you, Lord, are good.
Psalm 25:7

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?