The Jesus Doll

May 28
Maybe it was the class gerbil, goldfish, or another pet that you or your child had the privilege of bringing home and caring for over a weekend or even holiday. If my recollection is correct, one of ours had to care for a Cabbage Patch doll as part of a grade school project on responsibility. The doll was to go with us everywhere, as if it was a sibling.
Last night I heard the sweetest story from one of our sons.  Sometimes he carpools to work with a neighbor, who while not a believer, sends his children to a Lutheran Day Care Center.  On Wednesday evenings this church offers supper at the church, which this family takes advantage of, as well as allowing their children to attend choir those evenings.  While driving to work one day, the neighbor told our son that their child had brought home the Jesus Doll from class.  The doll comes complete with a back pack filled with Christian stories.  The child is instructed to take the doll everywhere they go to reinforce the lesson that Jesus is always with you!  Do you love it?!!!!  Oh, I do.  What a ministry this church has established!
Our son shared how this family had taken pacifiers away from their three year old and they were giving   some gifts as a reward for this tough step in life.  When they asked, "Do you know who these are from?" The child answered, "Jesus!"  Oh, may a little child lead them.
What an open door our son now has to discuss his love for Jesus with this neighbor.

Psalm 73:22-28 speaks to the reality of God's presence.
Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory.  Whom have I in heaven but you?  And earth has nothing I desire besides you.  My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.  Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you.  But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of your deeds.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?

Marriage Matters #1