Give Thanks In Stress


November 21
On November 18th the temperature peaked at 76 degrees, so I stopped my chores and slipped outside to be with the Lord in the beauty of his creations.  Boats were cruising by, not wanting to miss this day on the water.  Just as I got situated in my chair the blue heron spread her wings and thrilled my heart as she skimmed the water and landed on one of her favorite perches.  Opening my study on Thanksgiving, I chucked as I read the key verse for this particular day and was thankful I'd stopped my chores and was sitting at Jesus' feet

"But the Lord answered her, 'Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things,
but one thing is necessary.'"
Luke 10:41-42

I journaled...Lord,  I thank you for how quirky my phone has been lately, it almost seems as if you are shutting it off at times, like just now, because you want me to seek only you.  You know the aches of my heart right now, when no one else does.  I bring these burdens to you and trust.  There are days I'd rather just be beamed up to heaven and avoid the heartache, but me of little faith.  That's not my call. Have your own way Lord, have your own way.

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28

The She Reads Truth author wrote:
"Some days I am undone by the noise of this life. Anxiety and I have a complicated relationship...There is the constant chatter, the onslaught of internal and external voices telling us which way to turn.  The squeaky wheels that never seem to get enough grease.  The 'to do' list that looms like a towering giant, frowning down on our best efforts. Those dreaded should's that make us feel we're not enough at best, defeated and worthless at worst...We are waiting and we are rushing all at once.  I can hear Jesus say, 'Why do you stress yourself out like this? I have what you need and it's free! Drink and be truly filled; eat and be deeply satisfied. Your money and toil are no good here.  This is my gift to you.' 
I want to dismantle this stress mountain brick by brick, take it apart and hold each piece up to the light of God's Word. I want to remember there is good in the noises of life, gifts to be given and gave to be received. I want to give thanks for the promise that He brings peace to chaos, that redemption awaits, that rest is for those who lie down at His feet like sheep.  I long for the peace of God which transcends understanding to cover me like a blanket so I can rest in Him and give thanks." Amanda

Let's pray Amanda's prayer:
"Lord, make us lie down in green pastures and lead us beside still waters.  Lord, restore our souls.  We confess that we choose rush over rest, we choose busy over best. We bow down to expectations and worship over lists.  Forgive us Lord.  You are steadfast.  Thank You. You give us rest. Thank You. You slow our steps and calm our hearts and allow us to sit at your feet. Thank You.  Thank You. Thank You.  We will praise you in the noise, will we praise you in the stress; for you remain unchanged and we are found in you.  Amen"

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?