Hands


Grandchild handprint bookmark

June 13
Picking up this bookmark, I curiously typed in the phrase "his hand" into Biblegateway. The experience was overwhelming.  526 references popped up. There was Noah bringing the dove back into the ark with "his hand" and Abraham picking up the knife with "his hand" to sacrifice Isaac.  Jacob deceived his father by making "his hands" appear to be hairy like Esau's. Moses took the staff of God in "his hands." The actions our hands take on can give life or even kill.

Just think of all the things your hands have done today. Maybe they've held a tooth paste, taken food to your mouth, dressed you, opened God's Word for starters.  Our hands are busy!  They get a much more strenuous workout now that we have cell phones and computers.

To me the grandest thing our hands do is provide touch to another. Have you ever held a newborn's hand?  How about rubbed the back of a trembling toddler.  Remember the first touch from someone you were in love with and the tingle that came along with that?  My husband always holds my hand when we pray. I held both my parents when they were dying. I hope that touch brought them comfort as it did me.

God's hands hold a power we cannot comprehend.

"The works of His hands are truth and justice; All His precepts are sure."  Psalm 111:7

"The heavens are telling the glory of God: And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands."
Psalm 19:1

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?