To Be... Multiplying

November 16
One of my greatest fears when entertaining is not having enough food.  When preparing for dinner guests I like to get my ducks in a row by setting the table a couple nights before and creating any party favors I plan to give out.  (Usually just a scripture verse placed on some little item.) These preparations allow for cooking, cleaning and praying the day of the event.  This process requires receiving RSVPs,  which seems to be a lost curtesy these days.  I should just be joyful at the chance to offer hospitality to whomever shows up, but the Holy Spirit needs to work on me in that aspect.

The worst scenario I've experienced was several years ago, when we were having a seated dinner and serving soup.  The number of soup bowls we owned was limited and a major mistake was not having any plastic bowls on hand. Thirteen women, who had not accepted the invitation, showed up and one woman bringing a pot of soup was lost!  Whew, Miss Martha was in a tizzy.

It happened again with a church small group this past year. A member had offered to bring dinner and at that time the count was for only five of us, so she prepared chicken salad and I purchased a box of six scrumptious cookies at the deli.  As several more cars pulled into the driveway, my sweet husband's face showed shock.  The number of guests increased from five to nine!  Not wanting anyone to feel awkward, those who had already arrived began pulling out extra plates, glasses, placemats, silverware, napkins and chairs.  Quickly, we grabbed place settings from the kitchen table and scurried to the dining room where nine could sit around the table.  Only God knows how He did it, but there were exactly enough party favors, there was sufficient food and the many hands made for light work.

The story gets better.  That very morning the devotional I read was called "The Multiplication Factor" and it referenced the story of the fishes and loaves where Jesus fed the 5,000.  God had gone before me to prepare my heart!  To make me more like Mary choosing what is best...trusting God!

"...he took the seven loaves and the fish, and having given thanks he broke them and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds."  Matthew 15:36

Thankful Thought
Thank God that He is sufficient for all our needs.  He can multiply a little and make it a lot!

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?